Benefits of XtraGrass
The XtraGrass system can be easily installed on site, requiring only standard pitch installation equipment and utilizing a high proportion of local labor. It typically takes the same amount of time to install as a standard turf pitch.
However, for those clubs in a hurry, XtraGrass is also grown offsite and can be playable within days of installation. This has enormous advantages for clubs who need to partially or completely re-turf their pitch mid season.
- Consistency – XtraGrass provides a consistently high quality playing surface year round – traction, pitch hardness and bounce tests all come out well with XtraGrass.
- Reduced Risk – The risk of injury caused by an uneven surface and divots are eliminated – the XtraGrass structure ensures the pitch stays divot free throughout the year.
- Training – Players can train on the pitch they play matches on – at many clubs the main pitch has to be preserved for matchdays only. By enabling players to train on the main pitch, it gives them an intangible advantage over their opponents who are less familiar with the exact pitch dimensions and playing surface.
- Weather – Even under wet conditions, players are much less likely to slip and fall on XtraGrass as the playing surface retains its stability at all times.
- Installation – XtraGrass is simple to install, requiring only standard pitch construction equipment and utilising a high proportion of local staff – all of the specialist input is undertaken at the factory where XtraGrass is manufactured.
- Speed – If installation is needed in a hurry, pre-grown XtraGrass Turf Rolls can be laid very quickly and in playable within days.
- Timing – Unlike other grass reinforcement systems, where expensive specialist machines have to be booked months in advance, XtraGrass can be installed at the time that is most convenient for the grounds staff and club.
- Maintenance – XtraGrass uses a standard rootzone mixture which retains nutrients and water. This compares to other reinforcement systems that demand a sand based pitch profile and require a costly intensive maintenance and fertilisation regime.
- Aeration – XtraGrass allows aeration using standard maintenance equipment and this ensures the surface remains in top condition. By contrast, aeration is much harder to achieve with other grass reinforcement systems.
- Re-turfing – If, for some reason, part of the surface has to be replaced, this can be done very easily and quickly with XtraGrass. For other turf reinforcement systems this can present a major problem. It can result in the damaged areas being replaced with standard natural turf which will wear at a much faster rate than the surrounding reinforced area.
- Replacement – XtraGrass can be replaced in part or in full. The remaining backing and synthetic fibres are fully recyclable, leaving no waste disposal issues. As the total depth of XtraGrass is only 50mm, much less rootzone has to be removed compared to other reinforcement systems where up to 180mm has to be removed. That is a difference of almost 1,000 m³ on a standard pitch.
- Aesthetics – Even when the natural grass is worn, the pitch will still have a good visual appearance to both spectators and to TV cameras due to the green synthetic fibres showing through the surface.
- Initial Cost – XtraGrass is much more cost effective to install and maintain than other turf reinforcement systems, sometimes by as much as half the price.
- On-going Costs – Once installed, XtraGrass costs no more than a standard grass pitch to maintain. By comparison, some other turf reinforcement systems need an intensive maintenance and fertilisation regime, significantly increasing on-going input and labour costs.
- Equipment Costs – There is no requirement for specialist maintenance equipment with XtraGrass.
- End of Life Costs – As XtraGrass is 100% recyclable, there is no end cost liability for disposal. Other turf reinforcement systems require specialist removal and separation along with the disposal of an additional 1,000 m³ of rootzone infill, creating a significant end of life financial liability.
- Training Centre Costs – As XtraGrass allows much higher pitch usage it may be possible to reduce the size/number of pitches at the training facilities, thereby reducing on-going maintenance costs.
- Revenue Generation – The resilience of XtraGrass, allows the pitch to be used for some additional events on non match days, including corporate football days, concerts and public meetings, generating additional revenue for the club.
In short the benefits are:
- Efficient Production – with a new 24,000 m² manufacturing facilities designed to the highest environmental standards this has enabled GreenFields to reduce energy and water consumption, carbon dioxide emissions and waste and waste water.
- 100% Recyclable – Other turf reinforcement products often comprise of more than one type of material making separation and therefore recycling very difficult. To overcome this problem XtraGrass uses the same material in the fibres and backing eliminating the need for separation and making it 100% recyclable.
- Maximising Local Labour Input – By focussing the technology at the factory, this means that only a few skilled installers are required to travel to the site. All of the additional labour can be sourced locally, cutting down the carbon footprint generated by unnecessary travel.
XtraGrass the ideal solution
Extremely level field
According to IOG Performance Quality Standards as adopted by FIFA
All weather surface
Armed agains most weather conditions thanks for our specific soil profile design
100% natural play
As the synthetic filaments only support the natural grass fibers
More playing hours
Up to 20 hours per week extra. When maintained according the XtraGrass maintenance guidelines
The Best of Both worlds
The integration of the best performance characteristics from both natural and synthetic turf provides a higher quality, year round playing surface designed for heavily used stadium, practice and recreational facilities.